Pittsburgh Pirates reliever Chris Leroux made a rehab start for the Bradenton Marauders tonight. When he wasn’t striking out the bad guys last night, he was getting them to ground out.
The Pirates right hander threw three innings. Who knows what he was working on as it was just his first rehab outing, but Leroux was just one out away from getting out of the third inning when he allowed a run-scoring triple to Daytona leadoff hitter John Andreoli.
Leroux followed it up with a punch out to end his outing.
Here is how Leroux’s night went from the Marauders website:
Daytona Bottom of the 1st
- John Andreoli singles on a ground ball to left fielder Andy Vasquez.
- With Arismendy Alcantara batting, John Andreoli caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Carlos Paulino to shortstop Gift Ngoepe.
- Arismendy Alcantara grounds out, second baseman Drew Maggi to first baseman Alex Dickerson.
- Nelson Perez grounds out, third baseman Stefan Welch to first baseman Alex Dickerson.
- Greg Rohan pops out to shortstop Gift Ngoepe.
- Rubi Silva grounds out, first baseman Alex Dickerson to pitcher Chris Leroux.
- Taylor Davis strikes out swinging.
- Micah Gibbs grounds out to first baseman Alex Dickerson.
- Chad Noble grounds out, third baseman Stefan Welch to first baseman Alex Dickerson.
- Ronald Torreyes walks.
- John Andreoli triples (2) on a fly ball to right fielder Dan Grovatt. Ronald Torreyes scores.
- Arismendy Alcantara strikes out swinging.
Adding it all up, the hard throwing Leroux gave up two hits, walked one and punched out two. In sad news, the light hitting Marauders had just three hits and were shutout. Drew Maggi had two of the hits.
The Marauders struckout ten times.