Jul 9, 2015; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Pirates starting pitcher Jeff Locke (49) delivers a pitch against the St. Louis Cardinals during the first inning at PNC Park. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates lose 4-1
Winning Pitcher: Carlos Martinez (10-3, 2.52ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Jeff Locke (5-5, 4.03ERA)
Save: Trevor Rosenthal (26, 0.67ERA)
- What went right:
- Andrew McCutchen kept his hitting streak alive with a ninth inning home run. He went 1-4 on the night.
- Vance Worley pitched three very quality innings in relief of Locke.
- Gregory Polanco reached base twice as he went 1-3 with a walk.
- Arquimedes Caminero pitched a scoreless inning in relief and struck out two Cardinals.
- What went wrong:
- Carlos Martinez was awesome for the Cardinals. He went 7.1 innings, allowed zero runs on four hits and struck out eight.
- Matt Carpenter continued to be a Pirates killer. He went 2-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Yadier Molina also played a huge role in the game’s outcome. Going 2-4 with two RBI.
- Jeff Locke did not pitch very well. Going only five innings, allowing four runs on five hits and walking three.
We continue on – as the Big Three take their turns against the Cards, starting with the MLB leader in wins.
Next: Gerrit Cole vs Lance Lynn