Aug 4, 2015; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Jeff Locke (49) reacts on the field prior to playing the Chicago Cubs at PNC Park. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates win 7-5
Winning Pitcher: Antonio Bastardo (3-1, 3.82 ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Travis Wood (5-4, 4.58 ERA)
Save: Mark Melancon (34, 1.44 ERA)
- What went right:
- Gregory Polanco had a very big game, hitting a lead-off home run and hitting the go-ahead RBI in the bottom of the sixth inning. He went 2-5 with two RBIs and a run scored.
- Andrew McCutchen was involved in a big way, going 1-2 with a home run, a sac-fly, two RBIs, two runs scored, and a walk.
- Francisco Cervelli was awesome in the eight spot in the order, going 2-4 with a triple and two runs scored.
- The new back end of the bullpen looked fairly solid as Joakim Soria, Tony Watson, and Mark Melancon closed off the game and sealed the win for the Pirates.
- What went wrong:
- Anthony Rizzo can officially be called a Pirate killer, going 1-3 with a home run, two RBIs, and a run scored.
- Jeff Locke wasn’t able to go very deep in the ball game. He wasn’t terrible, but allowed a 4-1 lead to disappear very quickly. He went 5.2 innings, allowed four runs on four hits and struck out four.
- Jared Hughes was not very sharp out of the bullpen. He didn’t record an out, and allowed one hit and two walks.
- Sean Rodriguez was picked off of first base in the eighth inning.
Next: Final Thoughts