Aug 8, 2015; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Pirates starting pitcher Francisco Liriano (47) hits a three run home run against the Los Angeles Dodgers during the second inning at PNC Park. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates win 6-5
Winning Pitcher: Joe Blanton (3-2, 3.66ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Mat Latos (4-8, 4.67ERA)
Save: Mark Melancon (35, 1.56ERA)
- What went right:
- Andrew McCutchen was outstanding again. Going 3-3 with a walk, an RBI and a run scored.
- Joe Blanton pitched in relief of an ineffective Liriano and was outstanding. He settled the game down as he went three innings, allowed zero runs two hits and struck out three.
- Francisco Liriano hit a go-ahead, three-run home run for the first extra base hit of his career.
- Neil Walker had a good game. Going 2-4 with a home run, an RBI and two runs scored.
- What went wrong:
- Francisco Liriano was not very effective on the mound as he lasted only three innings, allowed four runs on seven hits and walked two.
- Adrian Gonzalez had a three hit game. Going 3-4 with an RBI.
- Scott Van Slyke had a big game. Going 2-5 with two RBI.
- Howie Kendrick was pesky all night from the two-hole as he went 2-5 with two runs scored.
The Pirates officially took the series with this victory. They then looked for the sweep while the entire baseball world was focused on them as ESPN Sunday Night Baseball came to PNC Park.
Next: Game Three: Charlie Morton vs. Alex Wood