Pittsburgh Pirates series takeaways vs. St. Louis Cardinals
4 of 5
Aug 13, 2015; St. Louis, MO, USA; Pittsburgh Pirates teammates celebrate after defeating the St. Louis Cardinals 10-5 at Busch Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports
Game Three: Francisco Liriano (7-6, 3.13ERA) vs. Lance Lynn (9-6, 2.76ERA)
Result: Pirates win 10-5
Winning Pitcher: Francisco Liriano (8-6, 3.19ERA
Losing Pitcher: Lance Lynn (9-7, 2.95ERA)
- What went right:
- The offense exploded in the first inning for seven runs on seven hits and chased Lance Lynn after 0.2 innings.
- Neil Walker was awesome as he went 3-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Pedro Alvarez continues to be the biggest Cardinal-killer on the Pirates as he went 3-4 with a home run, two RBI and a run scored.
- Tony Watson kept the game from getting away from the Pirates as he did his job for 1.2 scoreless innings.
- What went wrong:
- The Pirates let the game get way too interesting as they didn’t score from the first inning until the ninth inning and the Cardinals were within two run.
- Joakim Soria had his first really bad outing as a Pirate as he lasted 0.1 inning, allowed two runs on three hits.
- Yadier Molina was big for the Cardinals as usual. He went 1-2 with a walk and three RBI.
- Tyler Lyons really settled the game down and kept the Pirates in check as he went 5.1 innings, allowed zero runs on three hits and struck out two.
Next: Final Thoughts