Aug 14, 2015; New York City, NY, USA; Pittsburgh Pirates starting pitcherJ.A. Happ
(32) pitches against the New York Mets during the fourth inning at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
Game One: J.A. Happ (4-7, 4.78ERA) vs. Bartolo Colon (10-11, 4.76ERA)
Result: Pirates win 3-2 (10 innings)
Winning Pitcher: Arquimedes Caminero (3-1, 3.74ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Bobby Parnell (1-2, 4.82ERA)
Save: Mark Melancon (36, 1.67ERA)
- What went right:
- Gregory Polanco stayed a Hot Coffee as he collected another multi-hit game. He went 2-5 with the go-ahead RBI.
- Andrew McCutchen reached base three times as he went 0-2 with three walks.
- J.A. Happ had a very solid bounce back start, going 5.1 innings, allowing one run on seven hits and striking out seven.
- Jared Hughes had a great relief appearance. Lasting 1.2 innings, allowing zero runs on zero hits.
- What went wrong:
- Yoenis Céspedes had a very good game for the Mets. Going 3-5 with one RBI and one run scored.
- Bartolo Colon befuddled the Pirates’ offense most of the night. He went seven innings, allowed one run on five hits and struck out seven.
- Daniel Murphy went 2-4 on the night.
- Mark Melancon allowed a run, but was still able to secure the save.
The Pirates started the series with a very solidly played ballgame. They looked to take the series with the some Ground Chuck in game two.
Next: Game Two: Morton v. Niese