Pittsburgh Pirates series review vs San Francisco Giants
By Steve Kubitz
3 of 6
Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Game Two: Jeff Locke (6-7, 4.31ERA) vs. Madison Bumgarner (14-6, 2.98ERA)
Result: Pirates lose 6-4
Winning Pitcher: Madison Bumgarner (15-6, 3.02ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Jeff Locke (6-8, 4.56ERA)
Save: Santiago Casilla (30, 3.61ERA)
- What went right:
- Michael Morse had a very solid day, going 2-3 with two runs scored.
- Andrew McCutchen went 2-4 with a run scored.
- Joe Blanton settled the game down after a poor performance from Jeff Locke. He went two innings, allowed zero runs on three hits and struck out four.
- Antonio Bastardo and Arquimedes Caminero both continued their improve play as they combined for two innings of hitless, scoreless ball.
- What went wrong:
- Madison Bumgarner did it on the mound and at the plate. He went 6.1 innings, allowed three runs on six hits and struck out six. He also went 1-4 with a home run, two RBI and a run scored at the plate.
- Nori Aoki was a Pirate-killer once again. He went 3-5 with a run scored.
- Marlon Byrd was dominant in his Giants’ debut. He went 3-5 with two RBI and a run scored. He was a triple shy of the cycle.
- Andrew McCutchen committed a throwing error.
Madison Bumgarner was tremendous on the mound and at the plate as the Giants tied the series up. The Pirates turned to an ace of their own to regain the series advantage.
Next: Game Three: Cole vs. Heston