Pittsburgh Pirates series review vs San Francisco Giants
By Steve Kubitz
5 of 6
Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Game Four: Francisco Liriano (8-6, 3.35ERA) vs. Ryan Vogelsong (9-8, 3.93ERA)
Result: Pirates win 5-2
Winning Pitcher: Francisco Liriano (9-6, 3.23ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Ryan Vogelsong (9-9, 4.05ERA)
Save: Mark Melancon (39, 1.53ERA)
- What went right:
- His name is Andrew McCutchen. Cutch went 2-4 with a home run, one RBI, two runs scored and a walk.
- Francisco Liriano battled through control issues, an inconsistent strike zone to throw 5.1 innings, allowed two runs on seven hits and struck out five.
- The Shark Tank pitched to the formula as Arquimedes Caminero, Joakim Soria, Tony Watson and Mark Melancon completely shut down the Giants’ offense and sealed the win for the Pirates.
- Pedro Alvarez hit an opposite field home run in the seventh inning.
- What went wrong:
- Pedro Alvarez committed three errors at first base, which allowed the Giants to sneak back into the game.
- Matt Duffy had a big game, going 3-5 with a run scored.
- Neil Walker and Jung Ho Kang both grounded into double plays.
- Francisco Cervelli allowed a pass ball.
Next: Final Thoughts