Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates win 5-2
Winning Pitcher: J.A. Happ (3-1, 2.08ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Tom Koehler (8-12, 3.98ERA)
Save: Mark Melancon (40, 1.50ERA)
- What went right:
- J.A. Happ had another six inning, scoreless start. He kept the Marlins’ bats completely silent as he allowed only four hits, struck out six and walked one.
- Gregory Polanco must love Miami as he went 4-5 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Cutch just keeps happening as Andrew McCutchen padded his two-out w/ runners in scoring position stats. He went 2-5 with two RBI.
- The Pirates kept Dee Gordon off the bases, as he went 0-4.
- What went wrong:
- The Pirates could have made this game a laugher, but failed to get the knockout blow. They went 3-17 with runners in scoring position and left 13 men on base.
- Antonio Bastardo had a very poor relief outing as he didn’t record an out and allowed one run on two hits.
- Jung Ho Kang grounded into a double play with the bases loaded.
- Pedro Alvarez went 0-3 with two strike outs.
J.A. Happ was able to get the series started well for the Buccos. They looked to keep up their stellar play with some Electric Stuff on the mound.
Next: Game Two: Morton vs. Hand