Mandatory Credit: Robert Mayer-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates lose 5-2
Winning Pitcher: Brad Hand (4-3, 4.23ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Charlie Morton (8-5, 4.20ERA)
Save: A.J. Ramos (22, 2.80ERA)
- What went right:
- Andrew McCutchen stayed hot with another multi-hit game. He went 2-3 with a run scored.
- Aramis Ramirez played well as he went 2-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Francisco Cervelli had two hits.
- Starling Marte and Gregory Polanco both had fantastic outfield assists as both threw out runners attempting to take third base.
- What went wrong:
- Charlie Morton was not good against a pretty below average Marlins line-up. He went 5.1 innings, allowed five runs (four earned) on eight hits and struck out three.
- Dee Gordon reached base and as a result was a nightmare for the Pirates. He went 2-4 with two runs scored and four stollen bases.
- Brad Hand completely shutdown the Pirates as the team could never settle in and get comfortable at-bats. He went eight innings, allowed two runs on nine hits and struck out five.
- Andrew McCutchen committed a fielding error, which eventually lead to the go-ahead runs scoring.
The Marlins are having a very poor season, but they’re still a Major League team and can beat you if you give them the opportunity. The Pirates looked to respond to the loss with the help of a polarizing lefty.
Next: Game Three: Locke vs. Narveson