5 of 6
Mandatory Credit: Robert Mayer-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates win 2-1
Winning Pitcher: Gerrit Cole (15-7, 2.44ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Justin Nicolino (2-2, 3.65ERA)
Save: Mark Melancon (41, 1.48ERA)
- What went right:
- Gerrit Cole shoved it again. He looked very much the All Star in this game. He went 7.1 innings, allowed one run on five hits and struck out four.
- Francisco Cervelli had a nice game going before the UmpShow started. He went 1-2 with a triple and a run scored.
- Pedro Alvarez hit a monstrous home run in fourth inning. It came off the bat at 111MPH and traveled 443 feet. It made Marlins Park look small. He ended up 1-3 on the day.
- Gregory Polanco really loves Miami. He went 1-2 with two walks.
- What went wrong:
- Francisco Cervelli was tossed in the third inning and it appeared the umpire had a very short leash for the catcher. Ridiculous that in a pennant race, an umpire would be so quick with an ejection.
- Starling Marte grounded into a rally killing double play in the third inning.
- Martin Prado was again solid for the Marlins. He went 2-4 with a run scored.
- Pirates went 0-4 with runners in scoring position.
Next: Final Thoughts