SERIES REVIEW: Pittsburgh Pirates vs Rockies
By Steve Kubitz
4 of 5
Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Game Three: Charlie Morton (8-5, 4.20ERA) vs. Jorge De La Rosa (7-6, 4.61ERA)
Result: Pirates lose 5-0
Winning Pitcher: Jorge De La Rosa (8-6, 4.40ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Charlie Morton (8-6, 4.22ERA
- What went right:
- Jordy Mercer went 2-3 and made a nice defensive play, snagging a line-drive out of the air that saved a run.
- Charlie Morton wasn’t as bad as the numbers indicated. He was hurt by some fielding errors. He went six innings, allowed five runs (three earned) on six hits and struck out six.
- Antonio Bastardo pitched two very solid innings of relief. He allowed zero runs on one hit.
- Joe Blanton had another good inning as a Pirate. He allowed zero runs on zero hits.
- What went wrong:
- Jorge De La Rosa kept the Pirates off-balance all day and the team never figured him out. He went six innings, allowed zero runs on four hits and struck out seven.
- Ben Paulsen had a big game for the Rockies. He went 2-3 with a walk, two RBI and a run scored.
- Charlie Blackmon was good out of the lead-off spot. He went 2-5 with a stolen base.
- Aramis Ramirez had another fielding error at third base.
Next: Final Takeaways