SERIES REVIEW: Pittsburgh Pirates vs Milwaukee Brewers
By Steve Kubitz
3 of 5
Mandatory Credit: Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports
Game Two: Jeff Locke (7-8, 4.46ERA) vs. Zach Davies (MLB Debut)
Result: Pirates lose 9-4
Winning Pitcher: Jeremy Jeffress (4-0, 2.68ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Jeff Locke (7-9, 4.66ERA)
- What went right:
- Aramis Ramirez had an outstanding game. Going 2-4 with a home run, four RBI and a run scored.
- Starling Marte had two hits and a run scored. Hopefully this a sign that he’s busting out of his slump.
- Andrew McCutchen reached base twice. He went 0-2 with two walks and a run scored.
- Outside of giving up a home run, Joe Blanton had another good outing as a Pirate. He went two innings, allowed one run on one hit and struck out one.
- What went wrong:
- Jeff Locke continues to show he does NOT belong in a Major League rotation, especially one in a pennant race. Because it’s the second half of the season, Locke stunk. He went 3.2 innings, allowed five runs on nine hits and struck out two. Locke has given up at least four runs in six of his previous 10 outings.
- Jean Segura had a big game from the lead-off spot. He went 3-5 with two runs scored.
- Adam Lind continued to haunt the Pirates this season. He went 2-4 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Jung Ho Kang committed a throwing error.
Another series in Miller Park, another series loss for the Pirates. This game was unbelievably annoying, as watching Jeff Locke struggle again is just mind boggling. Seeing him out on the mound should fill every Pirates’ fan with a little rage. Hopefully this was his last start as Pirate in 2015. The Pirates looked to avoid the sweep with Filthy Frankie on the mound.
Next: Game Three: Liriano vs. Jungmann