Pittsburgh Pirates series review vs Cardinals
By Steve Kubitz
4 of 5
Mandatory Credit: Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports
Game Three: Gerrit Cole (15-8, 2.64ERA) vs. John Lackey (11-8, 2.87ERA)
Result: Pirates win 7-1
Winning Pitcher: Gerrit Cole (16-8, 2.54ERA)
Losing Pitcher: John Lackey (11-9, 2.90ERA)
- What went right:
- Gerrit Cole was back to his ace form as he completely befuddled the Cardinals on national TV. He went seven innings, allowed zero runs on two hits and struck out seven. He also did his job at the plate as he drove in the game’s second run.
- Gregory Polanco was strong from the lead-off spot. He went 3-5 with a run scored.
- Aramis Ramirez continued to be the Cardinal-killer he’s always been. He went 2-3 with a home run, an RBI, a run scored and a walk.
- Sean Rodriguez hit a two-run, pinch hit home run to cap the victory. He also played his usual solid defense.
- What went wrong:
- The Pirates had opportunities to pull ahead several times, but grounded into three double plays as a team.
- John Lackey did not pitch poorly, but was the bad luck loser. He went 7.1 innings, allowed three runs on 10 hits and struck out four.
- Cody Stanley had another pinch hit RBI single.
- Greg Garcia had a pinch hit double and a run scored.
Next: Final Takeaways