Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates win 10-2
Winning Pitcher: Jeff Locke (8-10, 4.43ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Zach Davies (1-1, 6.60ERA)
- What went right:
- Jeff Locke may have been pitching for his spot in the rotation and he didn’t disappoint. He went 6.1 innings, allowed one run on three hits and struck out seven. He had maybe his best start in months. He kept the Brewers off-balance well into the seventh inning.
- J-Hay All Day! Josh Harrison was a late addition to the lineup and was the game’s offensive MVP. He went 4-4 with a walk and two runs scored.
- Michael Morse hit his first home run as a Pirate and it was of the grand slam variety. He came off the bench and delivered the crushing blow. He ended up going 1-1 with a home run and four RBI.
- Brewers went 0-7 with runners in scoring position. They had some opportunities, but were never able to get the big hit to put them back in the game.
- What went wrong:
- Kyle Lohse settled the game down initially out of the bullpen. He went 2.1 innings, allowed zero runs on three hits and struck out two.
- Andrew McCutchen grounded into a double play in the sixth inning.
- Ryan Braun was effective as always against the Pirates. He went 2-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Joe Blanton had a rare hiccup. He went one inning, allowed one run on two hits and struck out one.
The Pirates were on the right side of a blowout against the Brewers and took the advantage in the series. They sought a series win by sending Filthy Frankie to the mound against a young nemeis.
Next: Game Four: Liriano vs. Jungmann?