5 of 6
Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates win 7-6 (11 innings)
Winning Pitcher: Jared Hughes (3-1, 2.43ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Tyler Thornburg (0-1, 3.38ERA)
- What went right:
- Top of the order was awesome. Josh Harrison, Neil Walker and Andrew McCutchen were a fantastic combo at the top of the lineup They went a combined 5-16 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Travis Snider started the comeback by hitting a key double in the fourth inning. He went 1-3 with two RBI on the day.
- The bullpen was fantastic as they held the Brewers in check from the fourth inning on.
- Jared Hughes got a huge double play with runners on first and third and one out in the top of the 11th inning to help set up the win.
- What went wrong:
- Francisco Liriano was not very strong as he lasted only 2.1 innings, allowed five runs (four earned) on seven hits and struck out four.
- The Pirates gifted the Brewers the first two runs of the game by allowing Jean Segura and Ryan Braun to steal second and third uncontested.
- Pedro Alvarez grounded into a double play to end seventh inning.
- Jean Segura was a table setter all day for the Brewers as he went 3-5 with a walk and two runs scored.
Next: Final thoughts