Pittsburgh Pirates series review vs. Rockies
2 of 6
Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY SportsSA TODAY Sports
Game One: A.J. Burnett (8-5, 3.15ERA) vs. Jon Gray (0-1, 5.00ERA)
Result: Pirates win 9-3
Winning Pitcher: A.J. Burnett (9-5, 3.15ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Jon Gray (0-2, 5.53ERA)
- What went right:
- Starling Marte was a beast. Going 4-5 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored. Ch
- Jordy Mercer also had a four hit game. He went 4-5 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Aramis Ramirez continued to be productive in the middle of the lineup. Going 2-5 with a home run, two RBI and a run scored.
- A.J. Burnett didn’t have his best stuff, but battled and looked fairly solid. He went 5.2 innings, allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits and struck out five.
- What went wrong:
- Tom Murphy had a big hit for the Rockies, hitting a three-run home run to bring the Rockies within two runs.
- Justin Morneau went 3-4.
- Charlie Blackmon stole two bases.
- Corey Dickerson went 2-3 with a walk and a run scored.
The Pirates started the series off right with a blowout win. Game two was a battle of lefties as the Bucs looked to guarantee at least a series split.
Next: Game Two: Happ vs. Rusin