Pittsburgh Pirates series review vs. Rockies
3 of 6
Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Game Two: J.A. Happ (5-2, 1.96ERA) vs. Chris Rusin (5-8, 5.11ERA)
Result: Pirates win 6-2
Winning Pitcher: J.A. Happ (6-2, 2.28ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Chris Rusin (5-9, 5.39ERA)
Save: Mark Melancon (49, 1.88ERA)
- What went right:
- Starling Marte really likes Coors Field as he went 2-4 with a walk and two RBI.
- Josh Harrison was very good out of the lead-off spot, going 2-4 with a walk, an RBI and a run scored.
- Pirates went 5-12 with runners in scoring position. They cashed in on most of their opportunities.
- The bullpen completely shutdown the Rockies once Happ left the game. Jared Hughes, Antonio Bastardo, Joakim Soria, and Mark Melancon all threw scoreless innings and allowed only one hit combined.
- What went wrong:
- Wilin Rosario went 2-3 with a home run, a walk, an RBI and a run scored.
- Charlie Blackmon was the best weapon for the Rockies. He went 2-4 with an RBI and a run scored and he stole a base.
- Keon Broxton was caught stealing.
- The Rockies bullpen shutdown the Pirates’ offense. They threw a combined four shutout innings.
The Pirates scored just enough and their pitching, especially the bullpen completely shut the door as the Pirates won game two of the series. They looked to Electric Stuff to win the series.
Next: Game Three: Morton vs. Bergman