Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Result: Pirates win 13-7
Winning Pitcher: Joe Blanton (6-2, 3.07ERA)
Losing Pitcher: Christian Bergman (3-1, 4.62ERA)
- What went right:
- He’s from here, you know? Neil Walker had a monster game, setting a new single game career high in RBI. He went 4-5 with a home run, a walk, six RBI and two runs scored.
- Starling Marte continued his amazing series in Colorado as he went 3-6 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Josh Harrison also had a multi-hit game going 3-6 with an RBI and three runs scored.
- The Pirates clinched a playoff berth for the third consecutive season. Ladies and gentlemen, it’s Buctober again in Pittsburgh.
- What went wrong:
- Charlie Morton was not effective. He went 4.1 innings, allowed six runs on 10 hits and struck out five.
- Corey Dickerson was big for the Rockies. He went 3-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Tom Murphy continued to haunt Pittsburgh like the former Mayor. He went 2-4 with a home run, three RBI and a run scored.
- Justin Morneau did what ex-Bucs always seem to do to the Pirates. He went 2-5 with two runs scored.
The Pirates won the game and took the series, but more importantly they clinched their berth into the MLB post season. The celebration wasn’t as crazy as the previous two, but it still feels damn good to see the Pirates back in the playoffs.
Next: Game Four: Locke vs. Bettis