After a week of minor league action for the Pittsburgh Pirates the same old questions about the opening day roster are still unanswered.
- Who will get the last one or two bullpen spots?
- Will there be any other notable surprises?
The fortunes of some players have fallen, and I see these guys as less likely to make the opening day roster:
- Cole Figeuroa – this utility infielder is trying to make a team stacked with guys with similar skills.
- Max Moroff – Moroff is an exciting prospect for sure, but seemingly Alen Hanson, Jason Rogers are blocking his path in the near term.
- Jake Goebbert – Goebbert’s been shut out of first base and most likely out of the outfield position as well. My money is on Matt Joyce getting the 4th outfield spot.
- Pedro Florimon – Even with the infield in possible flux owing to Kang’s injury, it’s hard to envision Pedro Florimon on the roster. He’s 30 years old and has struggled mightily at the plate.
Reading the tea leaves on guys like Jake Goebbert, Matt Joyce and so many other Pirates acquisitions is always a challenge. It’s hard to see how they fit in a system that is stocked with quality prospects, but at the same time the Pirates are sometimes very slow at bringing guys up to the big leagues.
It’s likely that Josh Bell, Will Garcia, Max Moroff will not make the opening day roster despite their status as top prospects, with management opting more for battle tested veterans even if the upside isn’t quite as high in the near term.